Thursday, January 7, 2010

Winter Blahs...

It’s no secret that I HATE Winter. I hate cold, I hate snow, I REALLY hate ice. Everything is brown, gray, and depressing. For the past two weeks, it’s barely broke 30 degrees, the high temperatures this week have been in the low 20’s, and we’ve barely seen any sunshine. Don’t get me wrong, I am used to winter. After all – I have lived in Ohio almost all my life. (Had a one year hiatus in Baltimore, MD). I also grew up around Cleveland, where they get a LOT more snow than we do here in Columbus. But, when you’re a kid, snow and winter stuff is fun. I would get together with friends and make snow angels, have snowball fights, and make snowmen, and be excited to wake up and hear that you have a snow day!

As an adult, you’re not as lucky, you don’t get “snow-days” regardless of the road conditions. Kevin and I agree on the fact that people from Columbus have no idea how to drive in snow. A word of advice, having an all-wheel drive car or SUV does not mean you can drive 70 MPH on ice! People like to do that here, and often end up on the side of the road smashed into a guard rail or in a ditch!

Winter sports frankly don’t interest me much either. Although, my husband LOVES skiing, we have never gone together. I have been skiing once in my life (about 7 years ago), and was on my butt about 90% of the time. The worst part about it was I was skiing in OHIO. There is no good skiing in Ohio, yet I was still tumbling, sliding, and crashing every chance I got. I even had ski patrol come over when I had gone into some brush on one of the hills to ask if I was ok. Ugh! How embarrassing! Skiing and ice skating are definitely not the sports I should be participating in…

At least the dogs enjoy the snow!



I’ve been working on Kevin for several years now to move down south. And, I think my “winter-hatred” has finally gotten to him. Now, I’m starting to hear the same kind of rumblings from him that I have been saying for years. Hmm, maybe someday I will be lucky enough to be blessed with living by the ocean and even possibly having the Florida resident discount to Disney World. I can always dream, right?!? ;-)



But for the time being, I’ll sit here and watch the snow fall outside my office window.  We’re supposed to get 3-5 inches of snow today and tonight. It should be a fun drive home. Look out everyone, my Pilot has 4x4!!!








1 comment:

ethelmaepotter! said...

Hate to spoil your Southern illusion, but we're FRIGID down here! Even Orlando hit 25 degrees last night!
But I'm with ya'; getting the Florida resident discount and having such easy access to Disney sounds divine.
Love the phots, especially the dogs frolicking in the snow. Dogs just KNOW how to have fun, don't they?