Monday, June 14, 2010

Veggie-girl no more!



“Wait a sec…WHAT?!?!” was the response from my family and friends. I have been what I term a “pseudo-vegetarian” or “pescatarian” for over 7 years now. To be honest, it wasn’t that difficult to start. I haven’t eaten red meat (steak, burgers, hotdogs, etc) for almost 20 years. Pork just gradually fell out of the equation somewhere along the way as well. Actually, I think the last time I had a pork chop was over at my friend Helen’s house in high school. But, I did remain loyal to chicken and turkey since I wasn’t a big fan of seafood.

When I moved to Baltimore after college, I realized that seafood wasn’t all that bad (I think it was the crab cakes…mmmm!). I started incorporating more seafood into my diet, and therefore started eating less chicken. I have also always been a huge fan of vegetarian entrees (with the exception of the ones that include tofu…yuck), and would look for them wherever I went out to eat.

When I moved to Columbus a year later, I was going to be living by myself. I honestly decided somewhere along the drive from Baltimore to Columbus that I wasn’t going to eat meat any longer. I wasn’t really enjoying it, and I had no interest in preparing it for myself. Done! I’m not eating meat anymore. And I stuck with it…

Lately though, I had been rethinking that decision. I know I don’t get enough protein. Even though I do eat fish, I probably only eat 2 or 3 servings a week. I was tired of getting sick all the time, and also knew I had to change something if I was going to get pregnant anytime soon. I was also tired of my stomach always feeling bloated and bothering me. Cooking two different meals for Kevin and I has gotten old too. Although he is more than happy to eat my veggie fare now and then, he is a meat-lover at heart. Another (albeit vain) reason is the fact that I want to feel confident when spending pretty much a whole week in a bikini when we go to Jamaica. I’m not there yet. I work out consistently, and have not seen any results from my workouts. I can run 4-5 miles, work out on an elliptical, lift, and still see nothing. It is true “You are what you eat!” I know I needed to lessen my carb intake, and increase my protein. My motto always was I don’t eat meat, so I can eat as many carbs as I want! :)

So, last Sunday I took the plunge. I got myself a piece of salmon for dinner, got Kevin some chicken, and he was going to barbeque both of them. I told him I wanted to try a bite of his chicken. When the time came, I was actually nervous! I ate the whole bite he gave me, while he looked at me wide-eyed the entire time and thought I was going to spit it out. I didn’t, and was also surprised it was actually good!

Now, I’m back eating white meat (sans pork) again. It’s going well, and although I’ve been a little tired the past couple days…overall, I feel a lot better! Kevin and my parents are very excited. My diet has always been somewhat limiting for family gatherings. I am also excited because this opens up a whole new realm of dishes I can order at restaurants. There are quite a few places where I only get one thing every time we go. It should be interesting!!

Now, I’m going out to get some KFC!! (Just kidding!)

3 comments:

Kevin Kirschner said...

Awh....I was excited to go get a bucket of extra crispy!! :) Why'd you have to ruin that with a "Just Kidding?"

Just kidding :)

ethelmaepotter! said...

Welcome back to the land of carnivores!

We have several vegetarians in our family, so I'm completely adjusted to cooking two separate meals. It's still a pain, though. I wish my daughter would follow your example and start eating some meat again. She won't even eat fish or anything made with animal fat. She won't even eat anything cooked on a grill that has been touched by meat! (She will, however, use an aluminum grill cover and cook veggie burgers on it.)

So...are you pregnant?

Marion said...

Nope! Not yet, but I thought this was definitely the right step to make for when that happens. It will be a lot healthier for all involved!

I was a lot like your daughter too (with the exception of eating fish). I wouldn't eat anything that was cooked or touched the same surface as meat. I'll still be that way with red meat, but I feel SO MUCH better since I've been eating more protein. :)