Wednesday, January 19, 2011

21.5 Week Update!

A friend at work sent me the blog of his wife who is pregnant with their first baby (she’s actually due a month before me!) She does a bi-weekly update on how she’s feeling and what’s going on with the baby, and I thought this was a great idea. I thought I would do something similar for myself. It will be great to look back and see what was going on in that pregnant head of mine!

Here’s the update on me and the babies:

How far along? 21 weeks, 4 days

Weight gain: As of my Doctor’s appointment today, I am 12 pounds over what I was pre-pregnancy. Yikes!

Fun baby-related activities this week? We registered on Saturday! We started at Target, and made our way over to Babies R Us. We were both WIPED OUT after leaving Babies R Us! We were there for about 2 ½ hours! We registered for some really cute things though, and I’m dying to get started on the nursery…we just need to get a free weekend.

Movement: I’ve felt flutters for a few weeks now, but the last week and a half they have been getting stronger and more frequent. Kevin even felt a few kicks last week! I also found out that I have what’s called an ‘anterior placenta’. Basically, the placenta(s) is on the top and front of my stomach which has a tendency of muffling the babies’ movement. I am so excited to be feeling them now, and can’t wait until I see feet poking out of my belly.

Food cravings/aversions: My constant craving has been fruit! I am in love with bananas, oranges, and golden delicious apples. I also always want super cold water with ice. Chicken or any kind of meat has been my biggest aversion…with the exception of a grilled chicken sandwich from McDonalds. I was dying for one last Friday night and ended up getting that along with a fruit and yogurt parfait. Must have been my body telling me to eat more protein!

What I am looking forward to? Getting started on that nursery! We’re going with a Pink/Brown/White color theme. I can’t wait to see how it turns out! We’re also going to hopefully order the cribs and dresser this weekend. Can’t wait!

What I’m nervous about: This week has been a nerve-wracking one for me. Ever since my ultrasound last week, I have been a little nervous. My anatomy scan was done at the hospital where I will be having the twins…not my doctor’s office. They are just completely different about how they deal with patients at a hospital vs. a doctor’s office. I felt like they weren’t giving me the whole story about why I have to come back, and couldn’t shake that feeling. Then, I had my first pregnancy breakdown the next night. Even though I asked the doctor if there was anything to be concerned about (which he answered ‘No’), I was still rattled for whatever reason. Kevin really helped calm me down, but I was so nervous about my doctor’s appointment today. My doctor came in (who is AWESOME by the way) and was asking how everything is going. I told him that I have had a lot of anxiety lately. He then was going over the results from the ultrasound and told me that the only thing they want me to come back for is to check the growth of one of the twins. Her cord is implanted near the end of the placenta, and he said there is a small chance that this may slightly hinder her growth. He says a lot of times this problem goes completely undetected, and is not even discovered until after the baby is born. They just want to monitor her growth and make sure she is doing well. But again he said it is really NOTHING to be concerned about. They are both on track and growing great! And as an extra bonus I got to see them again today. Yay!

He also said that everything looks really good, and he sees no issue with me going full term! I want to keep those twinnies cooking as long as possible!

So that’s the update on me and the girls. I cannot believe that I am closing in on 22 weeks. Despite the sickness(s) and everything, this pregnancy is speeding by so fast. They’ll be here and life will be changed before we know it! I can’t wait!!

1 comment:

ethelmaepotter! said...

Yaaaah! Bi-weekly updates are something to look forward to!
You're more than halfway there and have gained only 12 pounds??!! And that's with twins? Honey, you need to EAT!

I had the weirdest problem with my pregnancies - normally, my metabolism flows like molasses on a turtle, but when I was pregnant, it was running a race and winning! In spite of eating ice cream 3 times a day (I hate most dairy,) I LOST weight - 16 pounds the first time, half that the second.

Sure didn't last, though.

I love the pink/brown/whte color scheme. I saw some in JCPenney's baby catalog last year (?) that were done in those colors and were fabulous!

Try not to worry about something being wrong. Your doctor recognizes that you're not an idiot and are informed about pregnancy and therefore, will tell you the truth about any concerns you will have. Truly. And really, you're going to have enough to be anxious about AFTER the girls are born!

The girls. Doesn't that sound great? Not "fetus" or "babies" or even "twins-in-utero," but "the girls." Yaaaah!